Obtaining Compensation From Underinsured Drivers

People who take out car insurance rarely expect to be in an accident someday. Maybe that is one reason many drivers do not understand what their own insurance policies cover.

If you were injured in a car accident and the driver of the other car or truck was negligent, you may assume you will be able to collect compensation from that negligent driver. However, he or she may not be insured — or may not have sufficient insurance coverage to pay your medical bills. This may be the case after you have suffered a serious injury such as a herniated disk, neck injury, spinal cord injury or a brain injury. If the negligent driver cannot pay, your own uninsured/underinsured motorist (UI/UIM) coverage may be applicable.

Helping You Obtain The Compensation You Need

Do not count on your insurance company to be forthright about all compensation you are eligible for. Insurers are notorious for playing hard-to-get. A knowledgeable personal injury lawyer may be invaluable in helping you identify and tap into all sources of compensation, including your own UI/UIM coverage or umbrella policy coverage. Your insurer will want verification that you first attempted to collect compensation from whoever was negligent in the traffic accident. At Johnstone & Gabhart, LLP, we know how to satisfy insurance companies' demands. We can produce proof of good-faith efforts to collect compensation from negligent parties that they will ask for before allowing you access to your UI/UIM coverage.

Contact Our Attorneys After A Motor Vehicle Accident ∙ Free Consultations

Johnstone & Gabhart, LLP, in Charleston, represents accident victims and their families in West Virginia, Ohio or Kentucky on a contingency basis. Our free initial consultations offer potential clients the chance to learn about our law firm before deciding to retain our services. To schedule an appointment, call 304-553-0830 or email us through this website.